Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Berkshire Writers Room Logo

The Berkshire Writers Room announced that they were looking for a (free) logo design sometime in July. I inquired about the project immediately, started jotting down ideas, and then it took a back-burner to our wedding planning. (What didn't?!) I received a reminder email earlier this month that I was still able to submit an entry until November 29th - today! And so, I submitted my entry - today!

I thought a great deal about this project. Though I realize there is a great amount of writing and art inspired by the Berkshires, none had such a strong visual representation to me as Herman Melville's Moby Dick. Melville found the shape of Mount Greylock, as seen from the view of his study at Arrowhead, to resemble the back of his famous whale emerging from the water.

In my logo design, I decided to use the specific contour of Mount Greylock as seen by Melville (gathered from photos), while also showing the result of his inspiration - the whale. It is my hope that this new logo will be reminiscent of Melville's inspired writing and Berkshire pride.



From The New York Times, September 3, 2004:

"Melville's study is the centerpiece of the house — a spacious room that holds some of the books he wrote while in the Berkshires. His scrimshaw letter opener, reading glasses and the key he used to lock his family out of his study when he was writing are on display. If the day is clear, you can see Mount Greylock from Melville's chamber. The mountain was a looming influence over his prose: Melville saw the back of a sperm whale in its profile and dedicated his book 'Pierre' to 'the Most Excellent Purple Majesty of Greylock.'"

No comments: