Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Just Another Manic Morning


I think it's safe to say that I suffer from a somewhat fictitious condition that I have decided to name Morning Mania. No, you won't find it in the DSM, but my husband will definitely vouch for me. I overwhelm myself with ideas and lists of tasks that I could never possibly have enough time to accomplish. (This kind of makes me resent having to go to work, although, I have new earlier work hours that are going to help tremendously.)

This most frequently occurs on weekend mornings, and it sometimes keeps me from sleeping as long as I should. A typical Saturday morning involves waking earlier than I do during the week, making grocery lists and other to-do lists, getting wrapped up in an unexpected project, finally getting to the grocery store...then completely crashing sometime around 11:30am. Grumpy and tired, but refusing to take a nap, I struggle to get through my lists, and feel disappointed when I can't accomplish everything. Essentially, I set myself up to fail, and this is not good.

I think it's clear from this blog that I take advantage of my creative energy. But I'm starting to realize that I need more downtime. I need to sit and read. I need to take naps. I need to just be.

The only solution I can come up with, in an effort to become more conscious of my pressure-inducing-list-making habit, is to limit the number of items on my lists. I am going to implement this idea this weekend and see how it goes. I think I will be happier for doing so.

No comments: