Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Tomato Confit?

We have been receiving a good amount of tomatoes in our weekly farm share, and I discovered that my often-referred-to fish/pasta class instructor was experiencing the same. She offered a recipe on her website for Tomatoes Confit which sounded like a great solution for prolonging the shelf-life of these little summery tomatoes. However...

To follow this confit recipe would have meant to actually be at home with the oven on for 3 hours - only after blanching them and removing the skin and seeds. I just haven't had the time, so I decided to get experimental...or, realistic, really.

I simply cored the tomatoes, sliced them in half and plopped them into my crock pot with olive oil, garlic, salt and sugar for, well, all day. Upon coming home from work, I tasted the result and was truly amazed. I am about to put my crock-pot-confit to the test by tossing it with some cheese tortellini.



UPDATE: Oh, the pasta was goooood!

No comments: