Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Tried and True - Melissa's Beans

This "refried" bean recipe was one of the first things I ever cooked and I am always amazed at how good AND healthy it is. My vegetarian friend shared the recipe with me about 10 years ago (holy!) and I make it to this day - I highly recommend it as a side dish or dip. Try it!


You'll need:
olive oil
1 big yellow onion (cut into rings or half rings)
1 big green pepper (I used a red pepper this time) (cut into thin strips)
3 cloves or garlic (minced)
1 can of pink kidney beans (with liquid)
1 can of red kidney beans (with liquid)
1.5 packets of Goya Sazon
big pinch of salt
big pinch of sugar
big pinch of cumin
big pinch of coriander
2 big pinches of basil

Here's what you do:
1) Sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil until they start to soften
2) Add the peppers until they start to soften
3) Add both cans of the beans and their liquid
4) Add all spices and mix, cook for about 10 minutes with cover on
5) Mash the contents of the pot (so about 1/2 the beans are mashed)
6) Uncover and cook for about 10 minutes (to thicken the bean mixture)
7) Remove from heat and mash the rest of the beans
8) Enjoy!

No comments: