Monday, August 18, 2008

Curried Lentils

Alton Brown says that lentils are good for you, and darn it, I believe him.

This recipe is similar to one I made with chickpeas a while ago, but a little saucier. I chose to cut back the tomato sauce quite a bit, and it really came out good. I'm already looking forward to having it in my lunch box tomorrow!



Curried Lentils
(modified ever-so-slightly from the magazine's recipe)

Ingredients:
* an onion
* a piece of ginger
* 2 cans of lentils
* tomato sauce
* 2 tsp curry powder
* 1 tsp garam masala
* pinch cayenne pepper
* a lime

Cook the onion and ginger in olive oil until the onion starts to brown, then add the spices for about a minute. Add the lentils and just enough tomato sauce to give them a good coating. Simmer for about 5 minutes and add the juice of 1/2 lime. Eat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen canned lentils. I'm going to have to do some research! This recipe looks fabulous.

Yummy!

Erin Murphy said...

Yes, I could only find them at our local co-op. Although, I have made a very similar dish with chickpeas, which are much easier to find!