Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mom's 60th Birthday Dessert Party

On a lovely August day, friends and family joined my mom in celebrating her 60th birthday. We decided to host a small dessert party (with big desserts!), and everyone showed up with amazing contributions. Here are a couple of mine:

I have been wanting to make truffles for some time, and what better flavor than hazelnut?! I used Ina Garten's recipe, which was good, but I felt like I couldn't taste all of the special ingredients (Frangelico, coffee...). All in all, though, truffles are surprisingly easy to make. Messy, but easy! My next truffles will be cayenne pepper-flavored ones!


I don't make dessert of any kind very often, and this Martha Stewart lime cookie recipe has been filed in my To-Cook folder (yes, I really have one, and it's very thick!) for about a year. The lime made them appropriately summery, although they weren't as light as I was expecting. I tried one tony piece and had an instant craving for about a gallon of milk! The beautiful Italian cookies are the creation of my friend, Jeff. His were much better!


Because this gathering involved last-minute planning, no invitations were mailed out. Over the past few months, I had thought about what the invitations to my mom's party would look like. Keeping in mind that my dad and I have called her "The Moose" or "Mamoose" for over 20 years, and that most people are aware of her nickname (which, for some reason, she embraced?!), I was going to go with the "moose" theme. I turned my idea, which uses Roman Numerals for the number "60," into little decals on display at the party.

No comments: