This one's for Meira (and her nutritionist)!
I made this salad on Sunday to fill the bottom compartment of my Mr.Bento, as I get back in the habit of bringing my lunch to work. For a husband on the Core Plan Diet (for life) and a wife in need of losing a few pounds (who is also very afraid of getting hungry at work), this salad is absolutely perfect. It's crazy full of nutrients, it's filling, it's easy to make (if you have the patience to cook wild rice) — and it's also delicious.
Here's the (non-verbatim) recipe from the March 2008 Cooking Light:
Mix all of this stuff in a bowl:
* 1 chopped mango
* a big handful of thinly sliced green onions
* 1/2 cup of cooked wild rice
* a handful of chopped cilantro (I omitted this, as it's the one food John doesn't like)
* a few big spoonfuls of fresh salsa
* the juice of one lime
* 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
* 3/4 tsp salt (a generous pinch of kosher salt)
* freshly ground black pepper
* 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained