Monday, September 1, 2008

Curried Chicken Salad

One of the first things I ever realized I could cook for myself was curried chicken salad. I must have tried it (and liked it) somewhere, because it's a very strange first meal to make and, to this day, I don't think I've ever eaten regular ol' chicken salad.

Since 2001, I have been playing with this recipe. Usually, I poach the chicken so it's easy to shred. My sauce is made of lemon yogurt with a little mayo, curry powder, and salt and pepper. I usually add some combination of golden raisins and diced apples. Super healthy, right? I was very happy with this recipe...until I got hooked on the Curried Chicken Salad at Guido's, made by Berger's Specialty Foods.

My god, what is IN that stuff? It is so unbelievably good (although, my mom swears she likes mine better). Theirs is sweeter and more yellow, and the chicken is so very perfect. It's also about $10 a pound, so I am on a mission to replicate it at home. My first attempt produced something like a bland version of my usual salad. Not sure how that happened, but it still worked out great for dinners and lunches for the week. I have a hunch that there is sweetened coconut milk involved in their recipe...John agrees. I will do some research and go for round #2 soon!

No comments: