Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Three-Hour Nap (A Three-Hour Nap)

I don't mean to imply that our 4th of July New England Aquarium Whale watch was dull. It's just that the Dramamine/lunchtime beer combo sent me into a coma that could have lasted until my morning alarm on the 5th of July.

The good news is, we saw whales for the first time ever AND neither of us got sick on the ship. We ventured to the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, which sits at the mouth of Massachusetts Bay (location image below from their website).


Now that we've actually been on the whale watch, my mind has erased any preconceived notions of a whale watch and replaced them with the real thing. I do know that I had high hopes of catching whales leaping out of the water - this did not happen (no surprise). We seemed to follow the same two humpback whales as they fed. They would come up to the surface for a few moments to breathe, then dive for about five minutes at a time. We would wait to see where they resurfaced and try to cruise closer to them before their next dive.

Their blowholes look like giant nostrils!


I kept trying to look one in the eye, but no luck...


Diving for food:




A chance view of a German Tall Ship in the harbor:


And home again:

No comments: